What This Life is For
Pope Francis’ remarks recently chastising married couples
for choosing not to have children stung me, because that was my husband and me
for a long time. And I don’t harbor any animosity toward those families
which consist only of a man and wife (and maybe a dog and cat). No, it’s not
animosity or judgment or hate. Nothing of the kind. What I do feel is sorrow—sorrow
in the heart of God Who longs to shower the earth with the blessing of so many
children, and all the good that children bring forth into our existence here,
if we only knew. If we only knew. And I feel sorrow also for the moms- and
dads-to-be who will never be, for all the potential blessing unrealized. This is my story.
I am given one short life to live on this earth. What is it
for?
When I was small, I curled myself into the palm of God with
joy, knowing that’s where I belonged. I had a special big rock in our front
yard, and God met with me there.
At 14, I would sit alone at our family’s big kitchen table
with my Bible and just love loving Jesus, and love Him loving me, and it was
enough.
At 23, I sat on the floor of my bedroom and wept in the arms
of my God who cradled me in my grief and depression. He was my Comforter and my
Healer in a confusing time.
These moments stand out in my memory because in them I was
my Father’s and He was mine. Nothing else mattered. In these fleeting moments,
the questions were quelled.
You know the questions I’m talking about: what is your passion what is your purpose
what is your calling what is your work what is your worth what are you doing
with your life…
Worrisome questions like these blow away like so much dust
when the wind of God descends.
But it’s hard to always remain in the intimate space where God
assures me with His presence that I am o.k., that I am enough, that He is
enough. To abide. The wind of the
Spirit falls silent in all the noise of my whirling, and the dust settles again…
and the thought comes creeping in: my life, what is it for?
I grew up and married. Somehow, in being a grown-up, curling
myself into the palm of God, or basking in the love of the Father, or sitting
cross-legged on the floor in weeping worship seemed like things I would have to
leave behind. I busied myself with grown-up type things. I took classes and
learned to cook and studied German and earned my Master’s Degree and my
teaching credential, but I didn’t want to teach. I swam in the morning and made
cocktails we hadn’t ever tried from my Bartender’s Guide book (a terrific wedding gift, by the way) in
the afternoon and sat in the shade of the back deck and read Walt Whitman’s The
Leaves of Grass and felt kind of lost… kind of vaguely purposeless…
what is your passion
what is your purpose what is your calling what is your work what is your worth
what are you doing with your life…what is life for?
There they were again. The questions.
(Happiness and true contentment can be elusive things. Admit
it.)
Friends had babies, and I watched them do this very normal
thing and thought oh my god I don’t want
that
because I had forgotten and wasn’t sure what my particular
life was for, and until I could figure that out I couldn’t possibly have a
child. What would I tell him? Would I admit to him that his life served as a
sort of distraction for me, so I could busy myself with diapers and baby things
and mommy and me classes and not feel the hollow purposelessness of life?
My married friends asked me why don’t you want to have children? And I didn’t know how to
answer them. I said things like I wasn’t ready or we were “trigger shy.” And so
I became pseudo-contented with our clean and tidy house, my freedom to write
all day or swim or nap, without the complication and responsibility and
messiness and demands and inconvenience of children.
I turned 35. And I knew. Deep, deep down below all the fear and
confusion and uncertainty I knew that if I did not give God one chance, that I
would one day lay alone on my death bed and regret not having given Him one
chance to answer the question: would I be a mother? So we gave God one chance. I
squeezed my eyes closed and…
jumped.
A leap of faith—opening myself up to the will of God in spite of my
fear and risking conceiving, saying ok I
trust You--
this leap of faith changed my existence from one of
purposelessness to one of usefulness. NOW I am a useful thing in the hand of
God. Quickly I learned that in mothering my child, even while he was in my
body, my life was used up. And in growing him up in the womb of our home my passion my purpose my calling my work my
worth my what are you doing with your life, all of it, is planted, then, in
the soil of his life, and so on, and
so on…
It has nothing to do with me anymore. It’s all, every bit of
it, in service to Him Who saw fit to grace me with the blessing of a real
God-breathed soul wrapped in the body of a noisy boy, a blessing that in my
ignorance I believed to be a hardship, a blessing not in any of the ways we
typically understand blessing to be, a distinctly
God-blessing.
Think of the miracle of this: A woman can partner with the
Maker of All Things and bring new life into the world, God willing. I almost
missed out on that and all the lessons of motherhood because I didn’t have
understanding. I didn’t comprehend that besides God Himself, there is no
greater treasure than children.
As a mother, I curl myself and my son in the palm of God and
this is my worship now. My eyes are filled with the miracle of life as I watch
the carefree dancing of a child who could never have been had I not trusted. It
is a weighty responsibility we women have, a sacred business, because if we are not purposefully quieting the
pesky questions by pressing through
them to the Answer, which is not a thing or an idea but a Person, Who is the
very Person of God… and refusing to refuse, then, to muster up the courage to
trust, to squeeze our eyes closed and take that leap…
we will not learn what this life is for.
This one small life, friend, is for spending.
"Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."
Luke 6:38
Comments
Post a Comment