Perfect Order
Perfect order.
Your life, in perfect order.
Whenever I walk in the door to my house, I immediately begin
to set things to right. I put everything where it should be. I wash dishes if
there are any. I pick up garbage that has landed on the floor. I can’t be home,
I can’t breathe a sigh of relief, until everything is in perfect order.
My home is never in perfect order. Even though I try so hard, there are still
piles of papers that need filed. There are carpets that always need vacuuming. The
dust I just wiped away returns like some kind of mean joke. Truly, all my
efforts to set things to right are really kind of an OCD exercise in futility.
Because life is incredibly, incessantly messy. The garbage
just keeps on coming. Every day, new junk mail. New cereal spills. Those clear
plastic wrappers from the straws on the juice boxes.
But something drives me to folding those throws and sweeping
those stray popcorn kernels and wiping down those counter tops. It’s exhausting
work, because it’s never done, and the over and over and over-ness of it makes
me so weary I have to eventually sit down and surrender to the hopelessness of
Ever. Really. Setting. Things. To. Right.
Someone told me my life is in perfect order when seeking God
is my first priority. As long as I keep that one thing on the top of my to-do
list, everything else will be in its rightful place, too.
Oh how I long to awaken early in the morning singing praises
to my God. Oh how I long to fellowship with Him in silence, to be still and
know He is God in my being before I embark on this endless, fruitless journey
to put everything where it belongs.
Oh how I long to know and train my brain and body to know
that nothing else matters. Christ is all. Everything. First.
That deep breath I breathe when I am exhausted with
striving. When I convince myself that
life is manageable with enough effort. When I scan my area and it is orderly for that
moment. That breath I breathe then…
Oh, let Jesus be the breath I breathe when the carpets teem
with breakfast cereal and pizza crust crumbs, when I cannot make my way to my
son’s bed to kiss him goodnight for all the toys strewn around it, when I
arrive home to dishes not done, to dust making my furniture look white, to
rings in bathtubs and toilets. Oh, let me breathe that breath of calm and of
rejoicing and of thanksgiving in the very midst of life’s chaos, the breath of
Jesus. The calm of Jesus. The joy of Jesus.
Let Him be first. Let Him be All.
Let my life be in perfect order, because God.
Comments
Post a Comment