What Happens in Church
Sitting in church on Sunday morning, I tried to figure out
what it is exactly that draws me here. Why when I miss church, I feel like I’ve
missed out on something and vow to make it the next Sunday.
“I belong here.” Not here, exactly, this seat in this
church, but here, in the family of God, gathering together to seek Him, to give
Him praise, to learn about what it means to be a true follower of God, to maybe
hear what He has to say to me today. Sometimes to crumble. Because life just
keeps coming at you nonstop and it’s too much and you need a place where you
can just fall down and cry and say “enough.” I can’t do it.
I belong here, amongst family, fellow believers who to me
are the arms of Jesus, and I to them. The Body of Christ. I belong here. And so
do you.
Church is about a lot of things, but for me church is about
belonging.
I hadn’t been to Sunday morning church for a very long time.
Months. Getting there just got very hard. When I sat came in late and sat down
near the back, I said to God, “Dude, I’m trying.” And He said to me, “and
that’s good enough.” Being in church is like standing under a waterfall of
grace. The mercy of God just drenches you. His goodness towards you overwhelms
you with thanksgiving, and so throughout the service there’s this sort of
conversation happening, if you will let it: a breathing in of God’s powerful
love toward you, and a breathing out of joy. It’s prayer. And for some reason,
God likes to accomplish it in church.
When we realize our need for family. When we come in wearing
our failures and vulnerabilities like garments. When we admit to God we are
doing the best we can. Then, church happens.
As the band plays meaningful worship songs, confession
begins. I am guilty, and I confess. I humble myself before God in worship. I
ask for help. I look around me and reach out to my family in love. I extend the
forgiving, accepting love of Christ. I make a change.
When the songs end, my pastor, my shepherd, my friend, speaks
about God’s Word. I know the power of which he speaks when he says God’s word
comes alive in you, giving you life. I resolve to read the Bible more this
week, to seek and find God in the blessed scriptures, because I want life. My
pastor tells us the meaning of the word “save.” To save: to deliver out of
danger, into safety. Through hearing God’s Words we are saved. And the Spirit
of God changes everything.
I know I am changed. And I am glad I went. Maybe I’ll see
you there next Sunday?
Comments
Post a Comment