To Struggle or to Thrive
Are you going to be a struggler, or a thriver?
One of the hard things about starting this blog was trying
to figure out how I was going to present myself to you all. Who was I going to
be? What would my voice sound like? So, I just started writing. I thought as I
wrote, it would become clear who this Underachieving Churchgirl was, what she
would care about, what her voice would sound like, and what her purpose would
be in blogging.
I’m happy with the name I have chosen for myself, because it
does describe me. Having grown up going to church, not going to church always
feels wrong. And when I do go to church, within minutes it becomes clear there
is more I could be doing to foster spiritual growth on my own faith-journey, to
join in with my family to lift them up, and to serve others. I always feel I am
underachieving. In everything.
Just a few days ago I looked at my 8-year old son and
thought, good job, mom. He’s a good boy. You are doing a good job. Then he hits
me with his existential crisis in which he confesses he may not believe that
God exists and he is going to have be shown how it is the Bible is true. Oh,
ok. My kid is an atheist now. Clearly, I blew it.
I don’t even know what to say about my marriage except that
my husband is lucky if I remember he exists. I get so busy in my own thoughts
and my own to-do lists and my friends and mom stuff, not to mention Facebook, I
tend to forget all about him. I know. Terrible.
Regarding the housewife part of my life, our Lucky
Charms-strewn carpets are lucky if they see the bottom of a vacuum cleaner 3
times a year.
Spiritually, I usually neglect quiet time with Jesus. I read
my Bible at Bible study on Wednesday mornings. I pray when I’m desperate, and
worship to the radio as I drive in my car.
But sometimes, I get something right. I achieve.
Today I achieved clarity by clicking on a sermon I had
missed at church a few weeks ago. I listened to it while I ate my lunch.
It was about reaching a tipping point in your life, when “enough
is enough” and you know it’s time to make a change. There’s a thing—or things—you
are having a sort of “standoff” with in your life. Well, in mine. Two things I
can think of right off the bat. Two things I lay in bed weeping about and
feeling powerless to change late last night before I nodded off to sleep: My
son’s need for instruction in the ways of God, and one other thing which I will
keep to myself.
Am I going to be a struggler, or a thriver?
When David volunteered himself to take care of the nuisance
Goliath, that giant didn’t stand a chance. In his moment of decision, David put
aside any fear or self-interest or mistrust in God’s ability or willingness to
act. It wasn’t about David. It was about God and His working out His kingdom
purposes in the world through His people.
My family troubles aren’t about me. Nothing is about me! It’s
all about our good God and His awesome plan to bring overcoming and healing and
light to our confused, sick, needy world through our family. (In all of our
underachieving glory!)
David didn’t see a giant that would end the whole momentous
thing rolling forward through the ages… He saw a temporary, easily-dispatched
obstacle through which God’s purposes for mankind would plow; and rather than
have a standoff with it for 40 days or cry himself to sleep, he set out to do
God’s Big Picture work. When God’s people do that, the obstacles in their lives
get it square between the eyes.
So, who is Underachieving Churchgirl? She’s no churchmouse,
that’s for sure. Yes, she struggles. A lot. But her identity will not be that
of a struggler.
Comments
Post a Comment