My Niece Asked Me For My Testimony, So Here It Is
I don’t know where to begin. I was born into a crazy family
but from the first I knew God existed and that He loved me. When my parents
told me I could seal the deal and enter into relationship with God, that my
sins would be forgiven and my life would be made new, if I believed Jesus
Christ was God’s Son who came to earth and paid the price for my ransom, I knew
in my knower that this was right. So I prayed. I asked Jesus to forgive my
sins. I accepted Him into my heart as my Savior and as my Lord. And I was born
again and made new. I was 7 years old, the age the kiddo is now.
Then, we were baptized as a family. It was all very
emotional. We cried a lot, tears of joy and thanksgiving and renewal and
change. I think we all understood that
this was a miraculous God-thing, and we were ever so grateful to God for having
given us the chance to hear the Good News of His love for us, and receive His
free gift, and enter in to this life of faith that we really knew nothing
about, but we knew God had us and He wouldn’t let go of us. We knew it would be
an adventure. We knew we were O.K. with God. It was really a Spirit-drenched
time in our home.
We went to church a lot because we loved it. Sunday
mornings, of course, sometimes Sunday evenings, and Wednesday evenings. My
parents felt strongly they were to attend The Church On The Way in Van Nuys,
CA. Pastor Jack Hayford was the senior pastor of that congregation at that
time. He just turned 80 years old recently, and we all still think of him as a
father-teacher to us in the beginning time of our family’s faith journey. Since
then, I have always regarded my pastor—whoever he may be at different times in
my life—as my shepherd. I think it’s important to find a good man of God who is
right in his motivations and heart for leading a church, and submit to his
loving authority in my life. There have been only a few, but right now that man
is Pastor Art Lenon of The Rock Church here in Sparks, NV, a
non-denominational, non-traditional, kinda kooky but awesome church that I
love. When I had a couple of bumps in the road and I needed help, I met with my
pastor and his wife on several occasions, and once I met with my pastor and 3
elders, also men who love God and who love the sheep. Now I have my pastor’s
email address and I can communicate with him anytime if I have a hardship, a
question, or if I just want to thank him for a great word on Sunday. To me,
Jesus and my church family are lifelines. I have to have both in order to live
this life of faith.
It hasn’t been easy. In fact, there have been times in my
life that were downright confusing, depressing, desperate, and hopeless. But
our Father has always been right here for me, helping me along. I see now that
all along my God has been making my way smooth before me, walking along beside
me, sometimes carrying me, guarding me behind and going before me. Over the
years I have learned I can trust Him always to see me through. I know now He is
all I need, because in Him all my needs are met and then some.
I am the quintessential underachiever. I don’t read my Bible like I should. But there have been
times when the Psalms and the letters in the back of the New Testament have
spoken to the deep places of my spirit and breathed life and knowledge and
understanding into me like no other book on this earth. I don’t go to church as
often as I would like, either. But that’s O.K. I attend a mid-week Bible study
with a few women who have become dear friends to me—that lifeline thing I wrote
about above—and it waters my faith like a plant, and I am slowly growing and
continue to learn more all the time. The huge Bible can be overwhelming, but
really it’s a simple story. As you become familiar with it, you’ll begin to see
that.
I was a rager from about 17 to 23. I went to public high
school and the tempatations for trouble and fun were just too great. I became
obsessed with my boyfriend. I was lost. At 23 I found myself depressed and
clueless about what to do. I started going back to church with my parents. At
that time they were attending Living Word Christian Fellowship in Newbury Park,
CA. Pastor John Tolle was the senior pastor. I was living at home and went with
them to church to make them happy. But my heart was weeping for God. I was
afraid God would ask me to break off my relationship with my boyfriend, a relationship
I had come to utterly depend on. I thought I would die without him. I started
going to the college/career group just to kind of stick my toe in.
Then I don’t know what happened, all of a sudden I became
brave and I suddenly had the strength to end my relationship. I threw myself
into the arms of God. Mom and I joined the choir. I wanted to be at church
every possible moment. I went to every class, did every activity. I sat on my
bed at night and read the Psalms. At that time, God was my comfort and my
healer. I felt like the prodigal son.
I met my husband at that church, and we were married in that
church. The rest is history. I’d like to say happily ever after but that’s just
not true. I have had things that I have needed to learn. I have had things
within myself that God has worked on to change. I have needed to grow strong.
And God has been faithful to teach me, grow me, coach me, and help me. And I
still cling to Him like I did when I was 7. Jesus told the people that they
should come to God as little children. No guile, no pride, no ulterior motives or
just going through the motions—but with a pure heart, clean motives, humility,
awareness of our wretched condition without Him and our desperate need for Him,
and authentic sincerity in our supplications to Him. Little children depend on
their families to keep them safe, to see to their needs, to teach them what
they need to know to get along in the world, to always be there for them to
cheer them on, and to provide help when they need it. In the same way, we
depend on God.
This has been really good for me, my niece. After all these
years, I forget all that God has done for me. Thank you for asking me for my
testimony.
Comments
Post a Comment