In the Weeds
I get really angry about my life sometimes. Do you, too?
It feels like days over and over where from the moment my
feet hit the floor in the morning to the moment they finally curl up for the
night in their woolly socks, I am at the service of others. Even in those dark
hours between sleeping and waking, I am on call, because I am a mom. And
sometimes the kiddo needs me in the middle of the night, and worries about my
husband dying in his sleep keep me awake at odd hours, and frightening dreams
keep me restless. There’s no time when I am off-duty: from my son, from my
husband, and from my own wretched thoughts.
It’s easy to blame my family when I get weary of the
day-in-and-day-out endless loop of life. I long for my family to need me less.
I long for the kiddo to get himself dressed and take a bath without calling my
name every two minutes. I wish I could go just one day without always being at
the ready for when that voice calls me. I am always at the ready. Even when the
kiddo is at school, I’ve got my phone nearby, just in case. There are no
breaks. And it takes a toll on my mood, to say the least.
I get mad. I feel entitled to a break from mommy and wifely
duties. The break never comes. I get madder. I look at my messy house and
become overwhelmed with the burden of cleaning it all up. I write long,
complaining rants about my plight and then hate myself for complaining so much
and for being so angry and discontented.
Last week I really got stuck. I didn’t know what to do. I
just knew this was no way to live. I was
resentful all the time. So I let
Jesus have it. I don’t know what to do with this mess I’m in, I told Him. I
really see no solution, no way out of this place of bitterness I’m in, so… here
ya go, God. Please, help me out.
Did a spa day miraculously fall out of the sky? What about a
thousand dollars to spend as I wished for a few hours at the mall? No. Nothing
like that.
But a miracle did happen. As I began to whisper my
complaints to God in my heart, slowly and quietly, almost imperceptibly, my
heart began to change.
I had to be willing to accept His instruction. I had to
honestly seek His help. I had to admit my need for Him. And then I had to find
that mustard-seed faith again under the giant pile of dust and laundry and
streaky mirrors and dirty toilets—all the ugliness of my own daily failings: I
don’t measure up, I can’t ever measure up—and believe my Father God sees me and
knows me, and is always ready to help me, when I no longer have the answers,
when I can’t see the way out of the weeds I’ve wandered into, when I’m all
tangled up in my own ugliness and stuck in my own filth.
It’s been a long while since I’ve really come to grips with
my sin. I think I sort of talk myself into believing God is so very happy with
me and I am A.O.K. and life just skips along… and all the little selfish
thoughts of my heart throughout the days, the lusts, the ingratitudes, the
downright spite, pile up until I’m not skipping anymore, I’m not happy anymore,
and God is nowhere to be found. I am in the weeds. And then it’s like trying to
unravel a hopelessly tangled ball of string to get to the bottom of all my
angst.
I hate that ball of string. I hate going down that winding road
of thinking things through, of analyzing myself. This time, I threw it at God.
Because I was exhausted by it and because I am exhausted by my own perpetual
habit of getting all tangled up in the weeds of my own making. I never learn.
It. Happens. Every. Time.
I don’t have to make myself all
pretty for my God to pull me up out of the puddle of miry clay I choose to play
in, and wash me off, put a clean garment on me, set me on His lap and embrace
me. HE makes me pretty. I don’t have
to release myself from the prison of the tangly weeds that grip me like so many
greedy vines. In fact, I can’t. They
are too strong for me.
I can say “here I
am” in all my shame and nakedness, and my loving Father God will find me, free
me, and set me to rights again.
Every. Single. Time.
He’ll do it for you, too.
Churchgirl
Comments
Post a Comment