2017!

I'm excited to write here my New Year Resolutions.

I want to partner with God this year in my pursuit of Him in everything, so I have committed to a daily Bible reading plan. It's an app on my iPhone called "Read Scripture," produced by The Bible Project. If you don't know The Bible Project, check them out on YouTube. They are two guys-- Jon and Tim-- and their team of creators in Portland, Oregon. They make short, informational videos about each book of the Bible, and also theme videos. So, this daily reading app actually has the Bible text on it, so you don't have to drag your giant Bible around with you, you just need your phone. On the first day, for example, the app directed me to read Genesis 1-3 and a Psalm, and the reading was right there. Also, there were two videos to watch. One was a short overview of the book of Genesis, and one was a theme video on "the kingdom of God." There are not videos to watch every day, but every day has a portion of scripture to read.

Secondly, prayer. My goal is to pray daily, throughout the day, all the time. I want my conversation with God to be never-ending. This doesn't work for all people, but for me, prayer is a lifestyle, not something to check off a to-do list.

This third one is fun: FRIENDS. I am disappointed in 2016 for my friendships. The main problem is, my friends are very busy people. So, I'm resolved to explore ways to bless the people I love in ways that don't require planning a lunch date or a coffee date. I'm sure this will entail more texting, and more connecting on Facebook. I need to invest energy into finding creative ways to bless people, to let them know I love them and am thinking of them and praying for them. I want to go deeper in my friendships, learning more about the people God has put in my life. For me, my friendships are a life-line, but they don't just happen by osmosis. You've got to nurture them.

I'm starting a new church this year, and I'm excited about that. I'm resolved to attend Sundays, and to join a women's group.

So, in summary:

1. Daily Bible time
2. Prayer without ceasing
3. Friend-focus
4. Church

What do you think? Do you make resolutions? I usually don't, but this year I did. After saying farewell to Christmas 2016, I needed a look-ahead moment. And you know what? It's all good.

Here's to a year of pursuing God in everything, and choosing to underachieve in everything else.

~ Churchgirl


Comments